he main objective of the Music Ministry at St. Luke’s is best stated by the hymn text written by Fred Pratt Green: “How often, making music, we have found a new dimension in the world of sound, as worship moved us to a more profound Alleluia!” Whether the music is traditional or contemporary, the Music Ministry leadership strives each week to lead God’s people in thought provoking, heart-felt worship. St. Luke’s diverse ministry has a wonderful heritage of fine music making and offers a place of service for all.
The Michaelsen Music and Arts Series
he Michaelsen Music & Arts Series remembers Deacon Dorothy Michaelsen, the first woman ordained to the clergy in the Diocese of Dallas. Deacon Dorothy had a unique gift of stirring creativity in those around her, and St. Luke’s has created a series of events in her honor to celebrate God’s gift of creativity.
This series, sponsored by the Michaelsen Fund and by individual donations made at each event, strives to promote music and the arts for the St. Luke’s parish family and the community, as well as encourage fellowship during wine and cheese receptions following each performance.
Admission is free of charge. For more detailed information or suggestions, please contact Winnie Doyle for more information.
Vacation Bible School and Music Camp
n mid-June each year, Vacation Bible School is offered in the mornings for children ages 3rd through the 5th grade. The children interact with Bible stories through music, art, drama, worship, and games. In the afternoons following Vacation Bible School and a provided lunch, Music Camp is available for children going into the 1st – 6th grades. During Music Camp, the children will be learning a musical which will be performed during the Christian Education time on the following Sunday. See the Vacation Bible School section under Children and Youth for additional information. Contact Us for more information.
The All Saints Choir
his is the primary service choir of St. Luke’s. Rehearsals are Wednesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. and conclude at 9:00 p.m. with a short break for coffee and fellowship in between. The choir sings every Sunday, but breaks from Wednesday rehearsals in July. Additional performances have included a European tour, choral evensongs, and a collaborative performance with local Preston Hollow area churches. New members are welcome to join at any point during the year. Contact Christopher Rhodes for information.
nyone that cannot make a full year commitment to the choir is welcome to join our rehearsals and services when we rehearse for Christmas, Easter, and other major choral events. Youth and Adults are both welcome. If interested, please contact Christopher Rhodes.
Instruments at St. Luke’s
St. Luke’s Organ
he primary organ used for weekly worship at St. Luke’s is the Aeolian-Skinner Organ, Opus 1438. For special services sometimes held in the Chapel, St. Luke’s also has the William Longmore Organ, Opus 2. For the complete information about the organs at St. Luke’s, please click here.
The primary organ used for weekly worship at St. Luke’s is the 69-rank Aeolian-Skinner.
Aeolian-Skinner Organ, Opus 1438, was built by the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, Inc. of Boston, Massachusetts, in 1965 for installation in Caruth Auditorium of the Owen Fine Arts Center at Southern Methodist University. A gift to the university from C.S. and Bernice Hamilton of Dallas, for twenty-seven years, the instrument at SMU served as one of the outstanding teaching and concert organs in the South. The organ was re-installed at St. Luke’s in 1992 by Range Organ Company of Dallas.
Under the instruction of Dr. Robert T. Anderson, many of North Texas’ finest organists became accomplished artists at the console. International concert organists who performed on Opus 1438 at SMU were Robert T. Anderson, Marie-Claire Alain, Guy Bovet, Maurice Duruflé, Marie-Madeleine Duruflé-Chevalier, Anton Heiller, André Marchal, Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini, and Gillian Weir.
In consultation with Dr. Anderson, the organ’s original specification was determined by Roy Perry of the Aeolian-Skinner staff and the pipe scales and tonal concept were developed by Joseph S. Whiteford, Chairman of the Board of Aeolian-Skinner. The finishing of the organ was by Donald Gillett, Head Finisher, and Roy Perry. The SMU installation was by J.C. Williams of New Orleans.
The organ consists of four divisions (Great, Swell, Positiv and Pedal) comprising 69 ranks and 51 independent stops. The design of the organ incorporates several features necessary to the rendition of the vast literature of the instrument. The organ follows basically the North German ideals of the late-17th and early-18th centuries. A “plenum” is achieved within the structure of the three manual divisions and pedal. The ideal of complete choruses on all manuals and pedal is often neglected in contemporary organ building. Certain “Romantic” voices are incorporated in the Swell Organ to increase the versatility of the instrument.
Since the action of the organ is electro-pneumatic, the console can be placed apart from the instrument, giving the performer a better perspective. The console is constructed of teak, rosewood and ebony. One of the most notable visual features is the Swell Division, placed in an exquisite enclosure of warm, rich teak wood.
For services held in the All Saints Chapel, St. Luke’s also has the 9-rank, 2 manual tracker by William Longmore. More information about William Longmore and this instrument can be found here.
t. Luke’s is blessed to have many other instruments to worship God. The children’s area uses many rhythm and Orff style instruments. Pianos are located in the chapel, rehearsal hall, children’s choir room, and the sanctuary, which holds the recently purchased 7’6″ Yamaha Grand. The church also uses three octaves of Malmark handbells and five octaves of Malmark Choirchimes.